Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cold Weather

Wow, so today is cold. And I don't mean slightly frigid, I mean "cold" in all caps and blue font. Whenever I encounter this type of weather, I immediately have a fundamental desire to devour a bowl of soup. And, given the inluence of the Asian culture in my life, mainly my gf & her family, I automatically think of either pho, ramen, or soba. And today my yearning for a steamy bowl of noodles drowning in a hot tub of flavored liquid was realized.

At lunch, eating my bowl of ramen, along with some dumplings that accompanied a very tastey sauce, I felt warm. And not just physically. It's amazing to me how food can touch us on an emotional level. A bowl of ramen can warm us entirely. A slab of ribs can remind us of family. Or a piece of watermelon can place us at a summer picnic. We forge such emotional connections to food and through this connection it feeds us, not only physically, but it satisfies an emotional or even spiritual appetite.

Throughout history cultures and civilizations tied a deeper connection to food. It was more than food, it was part of the person. Buddhist monks will chew each parcel of food 30 times or more to reflect on the what they are eating, what it is composed of, and to be thankful for having it. They think of the sacrifices made in order to obtain this food. They do it to establish mindfulness. Maybe we should take some time to learn something from these people. We should all be more mindful of what we eat and of those who have sacrificed to provide it for us. And slow down a bit, enjoy your meal. It's feeding more than your stomach, it's nouishing the whole of your being. So take the time to appreciate it.

Stay warm my friends,

Jordan

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. So many of us in our hustle and bustle of life simply gulp down our food. It's a good reminder to remember that food not only touches us in a physical way but also emotionally and spiritually. When you look at food in this way it becomes so much more. Awesome work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put sir. Funny enough, I just finished a bowl of ramen myself (broke pre-med student's favorite meal). You make a really good point here sir, nobody ever takes the time to truly enjoy their food. The plate is set in front of them, and within 5 minutes, the plate is completely cleared and they're asking for seconds. I am guilty of this as well. I only take the take to 'really' enjoy my food when I'm at my favorite kind of restaurants. Nothing speaks to my soul more than a flavorful bite of sushi or a fork full of perfectly cooked pasta soaked in a home made alfredo sauce.

    I'm going to definitely take the time to enjoy my food the next time I sit down at a table to enjoy a meal. And I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm eating fried rice at the moment. it reminds me of you and how awesome you are at chinese =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ham and turkey sandwich, complete with spinach, cucumber and a splash of mustard, was BUSSIN!

    Real talk though, it sounds like you effed up those noodles. And then the noodles gave you a reach-around. One hell of a reach-around.

    Keep writing, J

    ReplyDelete